The history of Rėkyva Joint-Stock Company as a peat production company dates back to 1947. Although, a peatland has been in operation near lake Rėkyva since 1923, where peat production was carried out by a joint-stock company of American Lithuanians.
In 1947-1990, it was one of the most advanced peat production companies in the region, producing peat products for agriculture and fuel peat. In 1999, Western European capital was invested in the company, the western concept of peat production business according to ISO 9001:2008 standard was introduced, and peat extraction fields were expanded.
Since 2011, the majority shareholder of the company is a German family business. In 2011, investments in the improvement of the condition of peatlands and the renewal of peat extraction equipment have been started and are continuing annually.
In 2012, the company implemented a modern business management system.
In 2013, the renovation and modernization of the peat and their substrates production workshop of the company’s Rokiškis division was completed. After the successful implementation of the project, the quality of production was significantly improved. This success encouraged us to build a new modern peat and peat substrate production and packaging factory in Rėkyva, Šiauliai.
The factory, which started operating in 2014, fundamentally changed the production. By automating and computerizing the factory, quantitative and qualitative production parameters are guaranteed throughout the production process, minimizing the impact of human labour.
The company operates peatlands in Rėkyva, Degesynė (Lithuania) and Tollu purvs (Latvia). The total area of peatlands reaches more than 1,000 ha, peat resources exceed 25 mln. m3.